Friday, December 12, 2008

Fishing with the Kids

In my seldom humble opinion, there is no better way of getting kids keen on fishing than to bundle them into a boat and put-put around a lake trolling for trout. Kids don't have the same attention span as us big people, and I seem to manage an hour and a half of trolling, compared to 20-30 minutes spinning from shore when I've got a few wee jiggers in tow.

We are lucky enough to have a small aluminum dinghy, with a modest but much loved 4.5 hp 1971 British Seagull 'Silver Century' attached to the stern.

Tonight I ducked out with Gideon (9) with his firends Timo and Sean. Timo landed this 3lb brown on a Pink 'Tasmanian Devil' lure on Lake Ohau.

I think as much fun was had by the kids helming the dinghy as was had catching the fish.

Oh, and in case any is wondering, yeah, they are wearing Life Jackets, but the warm gear went on over top once they got out onto the lake, so it just doesn't look too safe!