Monday, November 17, 2008

Stormy Weekend

Not much was to be had this weekend, between a hot north-west gale on Saturday, and a wet serving of the same on Sunday. I managed a quick look at the Fraser River on Sunday morning before breakfast, a few km upstream of the Twizel township. 2 two trout were spotted. The first one saw me before I saw him - the old 'sitting in the tail of the pool' trick. The other fish was cast to, and finally got put down after I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory - by way of twice mis-timing the trouts take of my hare & copper nymph.

Sunday afternoon called for a high wind-speed wander down the Twizel River walk with the kids. As always, the weekends biggest fish was spotted when I did not have a rod handy. A large rainbow sitting in a bouldery run. Later on in the evening I was given a leave pass by Sarah to go-get-em, however I was beaten back by more high winds and driving rain. I still derive a lot of pleasure from going for a wander across the Mackenzie basin in all of its moods, so all was not lost!

This weeks forecast (excuse the pun) is for more bad weather, however wind velocity tends to be a lot lower very early in the morning, so hopefully we'll get a few quick looks in before work.